Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How to Catch a Whistle Pig!


We used to think our dog was the only one who could catch a gopher in our family, but last year we were totally wrong, apparently a 5 year is just as capable. We were camping up at Cougar Point which if full of the little buggers cheeping like crazy at each other. Wyatt has a butterfly net he takes camping with him just in case he needs to catch some sort of "wild little varmint". I know that when he puts his mind to it he can be a very determined little boy, but when he told me he was going to catch a Whistle Pig (which is what Jas calls them) I just gave him the motherly "Sure honey, good luck!" bit. Of course I never really thought he would catch one. It's not like catching a frog.

When I look back at it now, those little furry critters didn't even have a chance. So for those of you out there wondering how he did it, I'll let you in on a little secret.


1. Choose the baby ones. They are more naive to 5 year olds.

2. Dope them up sufficiently on burnt marshmallows that did not meet code for smores, sunflower seeds and graham crackers.



3. A good butterfly net.

4. Patience, Patience and More Patience. Only a child could wait that long.



5. A good dog to wait with you.



The result.......One happy and proud little camper!





Wyatt waited until it was too dark to see to catch his little whistle pig and was unsuccessful at his first attempt. Bright and early the next morning he got up and decided to try again. Jason and I were still lounging around in the camper with the screen door open. Then.......

"I CAUGHT A WHISTLE PIG, I CAUGHT A WHISTLE PIG!!!"
What???!!!!
Jason got up to go check things out and sure enough, there it was. I told Jason to make sure and not touch it, unless he wanted rabies and then we'd have to lock him up like Old Yeller. What can I say, camping is always an adventure!










8 comments:

Dakota said...

That is so awesome, way to go Wyatt! I would have thought it would be impossible to catch one of them that is really impressive!

Chrissijc said...

Wyatt must be really quick!! WOW!!
Love your new look on your blog.

Salmon Tolman Family said...

What a great story! With photo documentation to follow too!!!
I like the look of your blog, and how you split up the 3 columns. You are a pro, surpassing the knowledge of the teacher!

Paul, Nat, Syd, and Maggie said...

Go Wyatt! That is awesome! I definately wouldn't have enough patience for that. Is it starting to get warm up there or was it freezing when you went camping?

D'Neill said...

Boys are so fun!

My Weightloss Journey said...

That is the funniest story ever!! What an awesome page you have!! I cant wait until I get the hang of this thing? It is kind of confusing so far! Still have no Idea what I am doing!! :) Yours is awesome!!!

Gina said...

that is the funniest story! David & I are really enjoyed the story along with the pic. That is so cool Wyatt!

Book Girl said...

What an adventure! Be happy Wyatt is only bringing home whistle pigs. Next it could be a raccoon. But then I would hate to hear poor Wyatt's heart is broken because he was told to return his friend Ricky the Raccoon back to the wild because his mother is afraid of a nasty infection...aka Old Yeller fever.