Monday, October 20, 2008

My Love Hate Relationship

Who knew that something I hate so much could also make me feel so good. Well maybe good is not the exact term I would use. See this is how it goes. Three times a week I literally drag myself to my Aunt Lisa's fitness class. It starts out something like this. In the morning, I wake up around 7:30 usually in a pretty good mood and then I realize what day it is. Then I have an argument with myself about whether to be tortured for an hour or not. I never seem to win. Unfortunately my "self" can be pretty persuasive. I then go through about a half hour of butterfly nerves because I know what is looming ahead of me, nothing short of Chinese water torture in my book. You would think by now I would get over that. I've never been an athletic fitness kind of gal, maybe that is where my apprehension comes from. All I can say is thank goodness I don't have time to think much while we are going through the routine, because I would find myself looking at the clock every thirty seconds. To my utter surprise and relief Lisa says the magic words about it being time to cool down and to keep your hands below your heart. No problem, seeing how my arms feel like jello and I don't think I could do another "quick feet" to save my life. If a person got marks for wiggling their butt, I would totally score, because by the end of class I can't seem to pick my feet up off the floor. All I can seem to do is try to pretend I am doing quick feet while I am really doing some sort of butt jive. Jump you say. Ha Ha Ha which could almost turn into crazy hysteric laughter from exhaustion.

So where does the love come in you say? Well to my chagrin I must admit, working out does have it's benefits. I'm starting to love the way I feel after a workout. I'm more tired at night so I go to bed earlier (most of the time), and that has made me be more of a morning person. I love the fact that I can get more done before noon than at any other time of the day. But mostly, I love that I'm still alive (so far) and that my clothes are fitting looser and my husband said I was scrumptious the other day. Who knows, maybe by the end of my so called torture somehow it will morph me into a woman stronger on the outside but more importantly on the in.

7 comments:

Paul, Nat, Syd, and Maggie said...

You know that you have never been a morning person. You were always the night owl and I couldn't stay up for the life of me. Well, now I am the opposite. I hate waking up in the morning, but I could stay up all night. I think Syd helped with that because I was up all night many nights. I'm glad you are working out. That is something I need to do. Good luck and keep it up!

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Scrumptious, you say?! Yum Yum, eh Jason? BTW, a person definitely gets points for wiggling their butt after an exercise like that! I'm SO proud of you! You totally inspire me!

Candise said...

Hello Hailey! How are you? I am excited to check in on you every once in a while via your blog. High five to you...I wanted to for years and never dared join Lisa's class. It scared me! I kept thinking that as soon as I am in better shape I'll join...great logic, eh?

Book Girl said...

LOL...excellent writing. It made me laugh because I know you would rather sit on the couch to devour a good book. You are looking good. When you came to Parker's football game I smiled with pride that my sister looked fashionable...stylish. Not the typical Salmon Savage girl. Stick with this relationship 'cuz it's working for you.

Chris said...

You know I am so glad You come! It is always great to see you in the mornig! I'm glad you are enjoying coming and are seeing results! If I could get my eating down maybe I would see results toooo!
Love Ya

Grandpa Van - Grandma Greta said...

You are a good woman! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hailey, that is the funniest, most descriptive blog I've ever read! Good for you for jiggling your but. That's got to do something, right! Especially if it makes your husband think you are scrumptious! :) We miss you guys, hope you are doing well! We've got to get ourselves up to Salmon sometime!