Friday, February 13, 2009

What Once Was Lost, Now is Found!

Have you ever found a five dollar bill in your pocket and got super excited, like you had just won the Power Ball? Well today, I felt that same emotion, except I didn't have to split it with fifty other people and no long lost relatives starting revealing themselves. A while back I had misplaced my flash card for my camera. I don't know if any of you have ever done this before, but upset was a nice word for what I felt. After a few months I decided it had gone to the Island for Lost, Overexposed, and Computer Crashed Memories. I was just starting to come to accept my loss and move on. You see, losing pictures really sucks, but losing the pictures of your son's first day of Kindergarten, his sixth birthday when he got his 4-wheeler he's been asking for since he could talk, the camping trip when he caught a whistle pig aka. gopher (no joke, but that will be another blog), my dad actually with a full blown laugh (there are hardly any pictures of him looking this carefree, truly it is a rare occurrence to catch on film), my last photo shoot with Wyatt giving me a normal non-strained cheese smile (we've all seen our kids do it) minus the veins poking out in his neck and many other small but very special to my heart memories.
Too my utter and total surprise today, while I was in the office waiting for Jason, I just happened to flip open the flash disk cover on the printer, and what before my wondering eyes did appear? Why a small black flash disk I had thought long gone, not very near! Do you know how many times I have used that stupid printer and not thought to look there! All those long agonizing weeks of searching every nook and cranny of my little abode, to no avail, flashed before my eyes. Why the heck would it be under my couch? Why not in a place like a printer that holds flash disks? Uuuhhhggg, between jumping up and down and smacking my head for not thinking of it months ago, my joy was almost as great as when I discovered I had not actually lost Wyatt in Barnes and Noble. (Well not quite as good but almost, since I kind of felt like I had lost him somewhere between Summer of 08 and his sixth birthday, which technically is a much longer period of time, right?) It has been the highlight of my day and I was having a particular crappy day up to that point. Maybe the Lord decided I needed a break. Maybe He just wanted to see me smile and realize life can't be that bad.

I think if we could all have an unexpected surprise everyday we would all be a more joyful people. But then again, maybe we do have unexpected surprises all the time. They just go unnoticed by our short sightedness and tunnel vision. I have decided that I would like to open my eyes more and discover those little unexpected surprises. Besides who likes to have such narrow vision anyways?

2 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! I'm so glad you found it! I've had stupid moments like that, but the happiness gained from what we once thought was lost really makes us truly appreciate the little wonders in life!

Chris said...

I love the way you write it just makes me smile! The pictures you posted are just priceless and I'm so glad you found you memory card! Thanks for all the wonderful insights you always have and articulate so well! Luv ya