Thursday, December 11, 2008

Finding Christmas


Most years Christmas comes in quickly with it's smells of cinnamon, glowing lights, Santa suits, ringing bells and falling snow (not to mention the Christmas Decor going up before Wyatt can say Trick or Treat). This year it has seemed like Christmas kept eluding me. I could see that the spirit of Christmas was about, floating above each beautifully lit home, but for some reason it felt as if I was only a spectator of the much anticipated event. This was disappointing for me because Christmas is my favorite holiday. Desperately I began concocting ways to "catch" the Christmas spirit. I had begun recording and watching Christmas movies off ABC Family and the Hallmark channel like a seasoned DVR pro. Sounds of Noel, Rudolph and Joly Ole St. Nick began to fill our home and my car. I began burning candles of the smells of the holidays. Still to my chagrin and utter disbelief the Grinch was the only one residing here. I felt as if I was upon my own hilltop looking down on Who ville jealously watching the happenings of Christmas going on without me. You know the part in the end when he gets stumped and can't figure out why everyone was so darn happy and singing none the less, well I think I had one of those moments myself. I was not doing any of the right things to bring in the spirit of Christmas. Sadly I must admit I think I had left the most important part out. Those are all of the things I enjoy doing at Christmas, but not my favorite parts only icing on top of the cake. I had yet to do one family oriented activity. I had forgotten that the feeling of Christmas does not come from all the glitter, hustle and bustle, but from the love we feel for our friends and family and most of all our Savior, Jesus Christ. Determined to fix that and realizing that the one thing I was missing to start off my Christmas right was the family Christmas tree outing. We always get our tree the day after Thanksgiving and this year we postponed it because my mom was gone. (She ended up getting an artificial tree, but that's a whole other blog). The minute we hit the road on our way up the winding mountain I instantly began to feel as if Christmas may still come to 6 Napias Street. Jason was a trooper. He didn't grumble once even though I kept yelling STOP that's the one and then I would come back and say it was defective on one side. It was an awesome day even though I had forgotten to bring the can opener to open the chili and we had to smash it against a rock and pry it open with a window scraper. Nothing was going to ruin that day for me. So, the point to my long winded story. I did find Christmas, atop a snowy mountain surrounded by people I love eating chili and drinking cocoa. To quote Dr. Seuss "It came without ribbons, it came without tags, it came without packages boxes or bags. Christmas can't be bought from a store. Maybe Christmas means a little bit more." That night, Wyatt put on his Santa hat and played my little elf and called me Mrs. Claus and Dad Santa (who was sleeping on the couch might I add). Come to find out after we got it home my tree was a little skimpy on one side, but with a little love from Wyatt and me, our Charlie Brown tree gave us the chance to find Christmas.










4 comments:

Paul, Nat, Syd, and Maggie said...

What a beautiful tree and story. I'm glad you are ready for Christmas. This year has been different for me as well, but in the sense that I get to go home for Christmas. I've never really known how important and special that is until now. We love you all and miss you. Thanks for the fun pictures.

D'Neill said...

very beautifully written! Thanks for the wonderful words and the things that are most important!

Chris said...

Thanks for the beautifully written reflections. If it wasn't for you we would not have a tree still. Thanks for the push and the love. It really was the best Christmas tree adventrue I've ever had!!
Love Ya

Book Girl said...

I could feel the emotion in your writing...well done little sis. Your Christmas spirit reflection touched my heart.

If only we could keep the feeling of Christmas after we find it. I think I must be one of those people who desperately try to find the "spirit of Christmas" and once I do, I hold on too tight, smother it until the feeling vanishes. The moment where peace and joy leave is around 9:00 pm on Dec. 25th. The dishes are done for the 100th time, the garbage can is overflowing and both my husband and child are sound asleep. I sit quietly looking at the tree and all the gifts that have been unwrapped and think, "wow...all that work and it was over in seconds!" Good thing we get to look forward to future Christmas celebrations because the new year would be too darn depressing without the idea of trying to find the spirit of Christmas again.